In case you missed the announcements on the event page, we have confirmed Jill Frappier (Luna), Susan Roman (Sailor Jupiter) and Ammie Cosplay as the latest guests for the Toronto Sailor Moon Celebration that I will be hosting at the Ontario Science Centre on Sunday, September 27th.
This will be the first time since 2013 that Jill Frappier and Ron Rubin (the voices of Luna and Artemis) will be reuniting at an event! This is an opportunity to meet both cats that you won’t want to miss.
Jill Frappier is our third announced Guest of Honour, and she portrayed the original voice of Luna for the entire run of the DiC and Cloverway dubs of Sailor Moon. Jill is an actor, storyteller, drama teacher “extraordinaire,” and has performed in well over 100 plays at major theatres in Toronto and across Canada, including the Shaw and Stratford Festivals.
Jill’s voice is frequently heard in CBC radio dramas and televised cartoon series. Her most notable cartoon roles are Luna in Sailor Moon, Mrs. Prysselius in Pippi Longstocking, Doucette in Anatole, the wicked Sherry in Totally Spiez, Little Mutt in Animal Shelf, Auntie Yorkshire in Pecola, and the Lady in Waiting (Jane’s Mom) in Jane and the Dragon. Her pottery, under the brand Jill’s Objets, was recently featured at the One of a Kind Show in Toronto.
Our Cosplay Guest of Honour is none other than Ammie Cosplay, who has cosplayed all of the sailor senshi!
Ammie started sewing well over a decade ago and has been actively making Sailor Moon costumes for 10 years. As a masters level cosplayer she strives to teach other cosplayers, both novice and masters, tricks of the trade and believes through her own trial and error in the art of costume making, she would like to share the wealth of knowledge she has obtained in the hobby. She has been featured in magazines and books around the world regarding her costumes and lives by the motto “if I can make it, anyone can make it!” If you would like to keep updated with Ammie’s cosplay, you can follow her on deviantART.
And last, but certainly not least, our latest guest announcement is Susan Roman, the original voice of Sailor Jupiter in the entire run of the DiC and Cloverway dubs of Sailor Moon!
Susan is also known for many other voice roles including Snowy the dog in TinTin, Melissa Raccoon from the second season of The Raccoons, Champ Bear in The Care Bears Movie and the Care Bears TV series, Good Luck Bear in Care Bears: Journey to Joke-a-lot and The Care Bears’ Big Wish Movie, Oliver and Judy Tate in Beyblade, Salima in Beyblade V-Force, and she had a recurring guest role as the Morlock leader Callisto in the first X-Men animated series. Susan also enjoys gardening and has had her garden featured in Toronto garden tours.
Panels, presentations, and other activities currently on the schedule for the Toronto Sailor Moon Celebration include:
- Q&A session with Roland Parliament: ask your burning questions about what it was like to be the voice of the geeky Melvin, the experience of voice directing Sailor Moon, or even find out more about his book Sailor Moon Reflections
- Q&A session with Ron Rubin and Jill Frappier: ask your questions about what it was like to be the voice of a talking cat and how being part of the anime series and movies from beginning to end influenced their views of Sailor Moon and the roles of Artemis and Luna
- Q&A session with Susan Roman: ask your questions about what it was like to be the voice of the powerful and feminine Sailor Jupiter and how being part of the anime series and movies from beginning to end influenced her view of Sailor Moon.
- Autographs and photo ops with Roland Parliament, Ron Rubin, Jill Frappier, and Susan Roman
- Sailor Moon merchandise: presentation on a selection of merchandise available in Japan and Canada, includes some real life merchandise that you can see up close!
- Sailor Moon Classic versus Sailor Moon Crystal: open discussion of the two animes
- Mythology and Sailor Moon: discussion of the influences of mythology in the story of Sailor Moon
- Gender, Sociology, and Sailor Moon: discussion of the aspects of gender and sociology as related to Sailor Moon (and Sailor Moon cosplay) in North America
- Sailor Moon singalong: It’s like a group karaoke! Sing along to various Sailor Moon songs, in English and Japanese. Lyrics will be on a screen so everyone can follow along.
- Cosplay parade
- And more!
If you are interested in running a panel or event, you can sign up here.
Pre-registration tickets are $12, pre-registration with a commemorative wristband is $14. At the door, admission will be $15, and the wristbands will be $2 each.
Buy your tickets here! Pre-registration will close on Friday, September 18th.
I hope to see you there!